Monday, December 30, 2013

Eggs are veg or nonveg - Mystery solved


Personal blog of IfuM

"Chicken eggs are vegetarian!" It is important that we do not misconstrue this thought here.

Educational visits are arranged to teach us many things, but we may learn something different from what was expected. And thats why I say "Never miss an educational visit, no matter how boring it is; because the trip isn't boring, its you who decides how boring it is going to be."

Now coming back to what I was telling you. Chicken eggs are used to cultivate viruses and we learnt this on an educational visit to Bombay Veterinary college. But what I learnt that eggs which we eat do not contain embryo.

Yes its true. After reading and research I found out that chicken can lay eggs with and WITHOUT mating with a rooster. The ones which do not mate produce unfertilized eggs which do not contain embryos.

So what is a vegetarian egg?
The eggs which we eat contain only egg yolk(a part of an egg which feeds the developing embryo) and the egg white(albumin) and no embryo. You are not eating any living thing per se you are eating only the proteins.

At first I used to think that people who say egg is veg are stupid, well they are not. I personally think that egg which we eat is also called 'table egg' which is veg.

We have all had the experience of thoughts or ideas occurring to us spontaneously rather than as a result of conscious deliberation and so with my knowledge I can say that table egg is veg! Give it a thought let me know what you think in the comment section below. Still the debate continues...



No comments:

Post a Comment